It is International Cat Day and how could I not acknowledge this particular day. ALSO, Chris and Rach, another couple who are International Housesitters published their interview about us.
Firstly it’s all about the cats, actually, when is it ever not?
FACTS ABOUT CATS – stranger than fiction
- In 1963, the first French cat went into space, it survived!
- The group of words associated with a cat (catt, cath, chat, katze) stem from the Latin catus, meaning domestic cat, as opposed to feles, or wild cat.
- There are more cat owners than dog owners, 3 to 1.
- When a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members would mourn by shaving off their eyebrows. They also held elaborate funerals during which they drank wine and beat their breasts. The cat was embalmed with a sculpted wooden mask and the tiny mummy was placed in the family tomb or in a pet cemetery with tiny mummies of mice.
- A cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Both humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions. Check out more what-cats-are-made-of
- The cat who holds the record for the longest non-fatal fall is Andy. He fell from the 16th floor of an apartment building (about 200 ft/.06 km) and survived. You can now stop worrying about your cat when it climbs up a tree!
- The richest cat is Blackie who was left £15 million by his owner, Ben Rea. Now there’s an idea!
- Cats are extremely sensitive to vibrations. Cats are said to detect earthquake tremors 10 or 15 minutes before humans can. Obviously, Charlie here in Turkey is a heavy sleeper.
Sometimes it is not only the extraordinary more the ordinary things they do that we love about them. Like David the cat who sat and stared for half an hour watching a program on wild cats! We wondered how much of the program he was processing!
At the end of the day, cats are fascinating creatures that the majority of us love and with whom we share our homes.
So go grab a cat give it a hug then go and read Chris and Rachel’s interview on us
Though don’t stop just there, go and check out more on their website as they are also Professional Housesitters and an interesting couple, who are currently housesitting in New Zealand.
Some more cat love from other bloggers: